Chocolate poisoning

Source: Dierenkliniek Tiel, Journal of Wildlife Diseases 37(2), 2001, pp. 362-365
It is no news that some people love chocolate, but not everyone is aware of the fact that it can be toxic for animals. It has been determined that dogs, parrots and pigs can be poisoned by eating cocoa products.
The Journal of Wildlife Diseases 37(2), 2001, pp. 362-365 describes how a red fox (Vulpes vulpes) and a European badger (Meles meles) were found dead on a golf course. Necropsy disclosed theobromine intoxication, likely caused by the consumption of chocolate. It is therefore likely that there are more animals for which chocolate is poisonous.
Theobromine is a substance found in cocoa beans, which has an accumulating effect. This causes acute poisoning after consuming of a large amount of chocolate, but also after repeated consumption of small amounts. Symptoms vary from gastrointestinal complaints such as throwing up and diarrhoea to kidney failure, spasms and death by acute heart failure.
It is therefore advised not to feed pets any chocolate. Also cocoa-containing products, such as chocolate sprinkles or chocolate cookies, should be kept out of reach.